In 2016, BKI foods ordered the extension of its silo installation. This involved a total of 72 new silo cells with ancillary steel constructions and conveying equipment for integration with the existing installation, the majority of which dates back to 1999.
Since its foundation in 1960, BKI Kaffe A/S – “Brasil Kaffe Import” – has delivered quality coffee to Danish consumers, whilst in recent years exports to the rest of Scandinavia have increased significantly.
Today, BKI roasts and packs coffee from all over the world at its high-tech coffee plant in Højbjerg near Aarhus. BKI is one of the biggest operators in the coffee market and is the only 100% Danish-owned coffee producer with production facilities in Denmark selling to the retail and food service sector.
Food safety and quality are important at BKI, which aims to produce safe foodstuffs of high quality. The enterprise is certified and BKI’s employees receive ongoing training in food safety and quality. The new silo is being installed on top of the roof of an existing building for logistical reasons and due to constraints in terms of space.
In connection with the facility, great importance is attached to its suitability with respect to foodstuffs in accordance with EN 1935/2004/EC, which means, among other things, that:
- The silo cells are delivered with a specially approved powder coating that has been certified in connection with the storage of green and roasted coffee beans.
- The steel for the silo cells meets the requirements concerning max. content of lead, cadmium and arsenic.
- Conveyors are equipped with wearing plates that are suitable for use with foodstuffs. The conveyors are produced in standard pre-galv. plate. Chains and wheels are treated with liquid paraffin.
- Belts in elevators are fitted with belts suitable for use with foodstuffs. Elevator buckets in steel.
- Gear motor and bearings are greased with non-toxic oil.
The new facility will be a fully-modern facility designed in accordance with the latest principles with regard to food safety in accordance with Eurocode building and construction standards.